wedged between the kalahari and the chilly south atlantic, namibia has deserts, seascapes, bush-walking, and boundlessness. blessed with rich natural resources, a solid modern infrastructure and diverse cultures, it is a beautiful country of vast potential.
the desert tastes
that then is the night:
here all the roads lead to
nowhere in particular;
somewhere under the
national reserves and game parks
namibia's national reserves and game parks are owned by the government and are managed on its behalf by the ministry of environment and tourism. since independence, there has been a rapid escalation in the number and size of private conservation areas.
3. the mudumu national park is a vast 1,010km/2 expanse of dense savannah and mopane woodlands with the kwando river as its western border.
4. the 320km/2 mamili national park is the largest wetland area with conservation status in namibia.
5. the khaudum game reserve protect the northern kalahari sandveld biome.
6. the mangetti game reserve in the kavango region is managed as a game-breeding area.
7. the etosha national park, at 22,270km/2, is one of the largest game reserves in africa.
8. the skeleton coast park covers an area of 16,400km/2.
10. the national west coast recreation area, a 200km stretch of coastline between the swakop and ugab rivers, is renowned for its outstanding angling potential.
11. rising some 200m above a surrounding sea of bush and savannah, the 405km/2 waterberg plateau park is home to some 25 game and 200 bird species.
12. the namib naukluft park is a vast wilderness of 50,000km/2.
13. the focal point of the 23,000 hectare naute recreation resort is namibia's 3rd largest dam.